Abb Takk News

AC To Indict Raja Parvez, Awan In Nandipur Case On October 24

Islamabad (October 02, 2018): Accountability court will indict former Prime Minister, Raja Parvez Ashraf and PTI leader, Dr. Babar Awan in Nandipur Power Project Case.

Both the accused appeared before the NAB court today.

Click Play Button To Watch This Video

The court has handed over the copies to the accused for indiction on October 24 and advised them to make sure their presence.

Earlier during the hearing, Ashraf’s counsel submitted a plea for his permanent exemption. The court issued a notice to the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) on the former premier’s request.

Talking to the newsmen after appearing in the court, Babar Awan said he will face the cases lodged against him.

Click Play Button To Watch This Video

Earlier on September 18,  An accountability court directed former prime minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader, Dr Babar Awan, to submit a surety bond of Rs0.2 million in the Nandipur Power Project case.

During a short hearing, in which both defendants were present, the court approved Ashraf and Awan’s bail and directed them to submit a surety bond.

The hearing was then adjourned till October 2 (today).Speaking to media after the hearing, Ashraf said, “I am surprised to find my name linked to this case.

The case against me is baseless.”

Further, the former prime minister said, “I came to know about the facts of the case after reading the case report by SC Judge Rehmat Hussain Jaffery. Our lawyers will take the case up in Supreme Court.”

According to NAB, both the accused failed to discharge their duties timely, which caused loss of  Rs 27 billion۔Background Of The Case

The Nandipur Power Project was approved by the Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) in December 2007 at a cost of 329 million dollars. After approval, the contract was signed in January 2008, between Northern Power Generation Company Limited (NPGCL) and Dong Fang Electric Corporation (DEC), China and two consortiums — COFACE for 68.967 million euros and SINOSURE for 150.151 million dollars.

In 2008, the Ministry of Water and Power approached the Ministry of Law to issue a legal opinion but accused in connivance with each other and with malafide intentions, the latter repeatedly refused to issue on flimsy grounds.

Furthermore, the Ministry of Water and Power also failed to take any concrete measures to resolve the issue and the matter remained pending.

The legal opinion was issued in November 2011; the delay caused a loss of 27 billion rupees.

Related News:

Pervez Ashraf, Babar Awan Get Bail In Nandipur Case