Web Desk (April 30, 2018): At least 25 people were killed, including Agence France-Presse chief photographer for Afghanistan Shah Marai and eight other journalists, when two suicide blasts ripped through Kabul on Monday.
The attacks, claimed by the Islamic State group, are the deadliest to have targeted the media in Afghanistan since the fall of the Taliban in 2001, according to Reporters Without Borders.
Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai said the second explosion came minutes after the first, and targeted reporters at the scene.“The bomber disguised himself as a journalist and detonated himself among the crowd,” he said.
The interior ministry confirmed the death toll and said 49 people had been wounded. There were fears the death toll could rise.