Web Desk(June 12, 2018): Afghan government’s ceasefire with the Taliban comes into effect, Afghanistan’s National Security and Defense Forces (ANDSF) are in a defensive position opposed to being on the offensive.
President Ashraf Ghani’s ceasefire officially came into effect on Monday midnight – three days ahead of Eid-al-Fitr.
Security officials meanwhile said government forces across the country are now on red alert. However, they will retaliate with full force in the event of coming under attack.
The Taliban also announced a ceasefire – for the first three days of Eid. However, government’s ceasefire runs for eight days from Tuesday.The Taliban’s announcement has meanwhile brought renewed hope for the resumption of the stalled peace process between the Afghan government and the militants.
On Tuesday, Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) called on all parties in the conflict to end the ongoing violence and instead engage in peace talks.
General Baba Jan, the commander of the first brigade of 20 Pamir Army Division in Kunduz said earlier in the day: “We will comply with the order and I have asked my soldiers to abide by it; if the enemy tries to disrupt the security of the people in Kunduz, they will be met with strong retaliation.”Another Afghan National Army (ANA) officer in Kunduz said: “We are implementing the order and respect the truce; if the enemy attacks us, then we are prepared to deal with any situation.”
Even troops in Ghazni have said they will observe the ceasefire.