Abb Takk News

At Least 18 Killed in Nangarhar Suicide Attack

Kabul (June 17, 2018): A suicide attack in restive eastern Afghanistan on Sunday killed at least 18people and wounded many others, officials said, in the second attack in as many days.

The explosion happened outside the Nangarhar provincial governor’s office in the capital Jalalabad, his spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told media.

Khogyani said 18 people had been killed and 45 wounded. An Afghan security source confirmed the suicide attack but gave a lower death toll of at least 10.There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast.

The attack came a day after a suicide bomber targeted a joint gathering of Afghan Taliban fighters, police and army personnel who were celebrating an unprecedented ceasefire and Eidul Fitr.

Death Toll of Saturday Attack Raises to 36

The death toll from a suicide attack against a gathering of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan has risen to 36, an official said on Sunday.

Najibullah Kamawal, director of the health department in the eastern Nangarhar province, said another 65 people were wounded in Saturday’s attack.

The bomber targeted a gathering of fighters who were celebrating a three-day truce coinciding with the Eidul Fitr holiday. No one immediately claimed the attack, but it was likely carried out by the militant Islamic State (IS) group, which was not included in the cease-fire and has clashed with the Taliban in the past.

Related News: 

18 Killed, 90 Wounded In Baghdad Blasts

Three Security Personnel Martyred in Mastung Blast