Abb Takk News

At Least 30 Killed in Afghan Forces Attack in Nangarhar

KABUL: At least 30 civilians were killed and 40 injured in an airstrike conducted by the Afghan security forces, backed by US air support, in eastern Afghanistan, officials said on Thursday.

The attack on Wednesday night was aimed at destroying a hideout used by Islamic State (IS) militants, but it accidentally targeted farmers near a field in Wazir Tangi area of Khogyani district in Nangarhar province, three government officials said.

Sohrab Qaderi, a provincial council member in eastern Nangarhar province, said a drone strike killed 30 workers in a pine nut field and at least 40 others were injured.

The defence ministry in Kabul confirmed the strike conducted by Afghan and US forces was aimed at fighters belonging to the IS but refused to share details of civilians casualty caused by the attack.

Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar, confirmed the airstrike.

“The government is investigating the incident, so far nine bodies were collected from the attack site near a pine nut field.”

US forces in Kabul were not immediately available for comment.

Malik Rahat Gul, a tribal elder in Wazir Tangi said the airstrike happened at a time when tired workers, mainly daily wage earners, had gathered near their tent after harvesting pine nuts in a field nearby.