Baghdad (September 15, 2017): Death toll in twin gun and car bomb attacks near the city of Nasiriyah in southern Iraq has risen to 93.
Sources said that the death toll had reached to 93. The Islamic State’s Amaq news agency has released a statement claiming responsibility for the twin attacks.
According to the details the first attack struck close to a restaurant while shortly afterwards a car bomb targeted a security checkpoint in the same area, officials said.
Security sources said the attackers were disguised as members of the Hashed al-Shaabi, paramilitary units which have fought alongside the army and police against the Daesh group to the north of Baghdad.
The area targeted is used by Shiite pilgrims and visitors from neighbouring Iran headed for the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala further north, although Dhiqar has previously been spared the worst of the violence.
At Least 20 killed in Iraq Suicide Blast, IS Claims Responsibility