ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Fawad Choudhary has called for the need of military courts in the country and their significance even in present times.
In an interview to British broadcasting institutions, Fawad Choudhary said that the affair of extension in terms of the military courts is dependant on the opposition parties.
“If opposition won’t approve, then the terms of the military courts will not be extended further”, said the federal information minister.
Endorsing government’s stance on the subject, Fawad reiterated the call for military courts saying ‘it was a result of extraordinary step to counter extraordinary conditions’.
It may be pertinent to mention here that the military courts that had been set up under the National Action Plan (NAP) in 2015 to try civilians on terrorism charges finally ceased to function from Sunday (March 31).
As per the facts and figures delivered to the National Assembly, in November last year that the military authorities had to decide 185 terrorism-related cases before the expiry of their two-year term.
Defence Minister Pervez Khattak had informed the National Assembly that since the launch of the military operation Zarb-i-Azb, a total of 717 cases of terrorism had been referred to the military courts.
He said a total of 284 convicts had been awarded death sentences and 56 of them had already been executed.
He added that 192 convicts had been awarded rigorous imprisonment, two accused acquitted and 54 cases dropped due to technical reasons.