Abb Takk News

NY Fire Started By Child Playing With Stove: Officials  

New York (December 30, 2017): A 3-year-old boy’s screams alerted his mother that a fire had erupted in their first-floor apartment in the Bronx on Thursday night. The boy had been playing with the burners on the kitchen stove. Said the fire officials on Friday.

When the mother fled the burning apartment with the boy and his 2-year-old sibling, she made a fatal mistake — she left the apartment door open.The tragic result was the deaths of at least 12 people, including at least four children, the New York Police Department said.

It was the deadliest fire in New York City in more than 25 years. The apartment’s stairway acted “like a chimney” as the fire burst from the apartment, feeding the flames and allowing them to spread throughout the building, FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said Friday.The boy in the first-floor apartment had a history of playing with the stove burners, Nigro said. The fire commissioner reminded all New Yorkers of his department’s frequent messages emphasizing the crucial step residents must take in the event of a fire.“Close the door, close the door, close the door,” Nigro said. The fire commissioner said he’s unsure whether all the smoke detectors were working in the building. Records from a city housing agency show one of the apartments on the building’s first floor reported defective carbon monoxide and smoke detectors months ago. It’s unclear whether those issues were resolved.

Seven civilians and seven firefighters were injured in the fire, according to the fire department. Four civilians were still being treated at hospitals Friday afternoon, with injuries ranging from serious to critical.

Among those who also died in the fire were a 63-year-old woman, four unidentified adult men and an unidentified male child.

Related News:

Massive Apartment Fire in New York City, Kills 12

Huge Fire Rips Through Apartment Building in New York