Karachi: Saeed Ghani,Sindh education minister has announced that the reopening of schools for sixth, seventh and eighth graders is being delayed over fears of the spread of COVID-19 as educational institutes have been observed to have failed in enforcing safety protocols.
Ghani said that students from these grades will be asked to rejoin school on September 28, subject to if the COVID-19 situation improves. He said in this period, the provincial government will see how the following of SOPs can be better enforced.
The minister said that the decision will be reviewed before September 28. “I will get in touch with the federal ministers and will request a meeting of the inter-provincial education ministers committee so that a uniform decision is taken across the country.”
Ghani also requested the media to spread awareness and “sensitise” parents, children and the public in general, to properly follow COVID-19 prevention measures.
“At the same time I will say, not all private schools performed poorly in abiding by the rules. I came away quite impressed by some of them [in the way protocols were followed]. I was very satisfied. Some, however, were completely violating safety protocols,” Ghani said.
The education minister said that between September 12 and 17, “14,544 tests were carried out of which some 11,000 reports are still pending”. He was referring to a question posed by a journalist asking about the 88 new cases of COVID-19 found in school teachers.
In a meeting of the provincial education ministers earlier this month, it was decided that a phase-wise reopening of schools starting September 15, would be carried out.