Abb Takk News

Rao Anwar Sent On Physical Remand Till April 21

Karachi (March 29, 2018): An anti-terrorism court on Thursday sent former Malir SSP Rao Anwar on physical remand till April 21 over registering fake FIR against Naqeeb Ullah Mehsud and his friends.

Rao was presented in the anti-terrorism court Thursday and during the hearing, the investigation officer told the court that Anwar and other policemen filed false FIRs against four people, including Naqeebullah.

Click Play Button to Watch this Video 

Subsequently, the court sent the suspended SSP into police remand till April 21.

On March 22, former SSP Malir Rao Anwar was handed over to police for 30-day physical remand in Naqeeb Ullah murder case. The remand would be valid till 21 April.


Click Play Button to Watch this Video 

He was presented before the anti-terrorism court amid strict security measures. The members of the JIT team formed to probe Rao Anwar were also present during the proceedings while the media members were not allowed to witness the proceedings.

During the hearing, held behind closed doors, the investigation officer pleaded the court to allow a 30-day remand as police face security issues and cannot bring the accused to court frequently.

The judge approved the request and ordered physical remand of the suspect until April 21.


Click Play Button to Watch this Video 

The accused was arrested on Wednesday following his appearance before the apex court. “Rao Anwar will be produced before a court today in order to get his physical remand,” said a senior Sindh police official privy to the matter.

Police investigators said that the former SSP will be quizzed keeping the FIR against him in view. “Rao Anwar will have to prove his innocence,” one official added.

Anwar was taken to the ATC-II after the judge demanded he be presented today. The court’s demand had come in response to a request by Malir SP Investigation Abid Qaimkhani, who asked if Anwar could be produced in the next hearing. But the court dismissed the plea.Rao Anwar To Be Produced In Karachi’s Court TodayAnwar was named an accused in the extrajudicial murder case of 27-year-old Naqeebullah Mehsud and three others who were killed in a fake police encounter in Karachi on January 13 on Anwar’s orders.

Anwar, after absconding in the case since late January, was arrested on the Supreme Court’s orders on Wednesday after he finally appeared in court and later transported to Karachi.

The other 10 police officials arrested in the case, including Anwar’s associate DSP Qamar Ahmed, were produced in court today which is hearing the murder case.

Anwar is also nominated in a case pertaining to the illegal possession of weapons and explosives.

Click Play Button to Watch this Video 

Talking to the media earlier in the day, the counsel for the elders of the Mehsud tribe, Pir Rehman Mehsud, said the chief justice of Pakistan has played a pivotal role in the high-profile murder case.

Rehman added they were satisfied with the way the court was taking the case forward and expected the accused to be dealt with an iron fist when he appears in court.

Anwar’s arrest, move to Karachi
After being arrested from outside the Supreme Court, the suspended SSP was brought to Karachi.

Two armoured personnel carriers transported the arrested police officer to the Malir Cantonment Police Station.

Click Play Button to Watch this Video 

Sindh Additional IG Aftab Pathan also accompanied the arrested official who arrived from Islamabad through a private airline’s flight (NL-126) on Wednesday.

A heavy contingent of the police force and Rangers was deployed at Jinnah International Airport in Karachi to secure the premises. Malir SSP Adeel Chandio, along with other police officials, was present at Karachi airport.

Related News:

Rao Anwar Sent On 30-Day Physical Remand