RIYADH: Saudi Arabia has cut half of the kingdom’s oil and gas production following drone attacks on two major oil facilities run by state-owned company Aramco.
Yemen’s Houthi rebels on Saturday took responsibility for the attacks, saying 10 drones targeted Saudi Aramco oil facilities in Abqaiq and Khurais.
In a statement on Sunday, Saudi Arabian Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said the strikes had reduced crude oil production by 5.7m barrels a day – about half the kingdom’s output.
The energy minister said the “company is currently working to recover the lost quantities” of oil and will update the public within the next two days. “These attacks are not only aimed at the vital installations of the kingdom, but also on the global oil supply and its security, and thus pose a threat to the global economy.”
In a statement posted on Twitter, the ministry said the fires were under control and no casualties had been reported in the attacks.