Kabul (December 31, 2017): At least 15 people were killed and 13 others wounded when a suicide attacker blew himself up at a funeral in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday, officials said.
“The latest death toll has jumped to 15 and 13 wounded,” said Nangarhar governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani.
An earlier statement from the governor´s office said six people had been killed and 11 wounded.
The attacker struck during the funeral ceremony for a former governor of Haska Mina district who died recently of natural causes, the statement said.
Provincial health director Najib Kamawal confirmed the toll. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack in Nangarhar where the Islamic State group has a stronghold.