Abb Takk News

UK raises threat level to critical in wake of Manchester attack

London (May 24, 2017): United kingdom (UK) on Tuesday raised threat level to its highest level of ‘critical’ in the wake of Manchester attack, in which 22 people had been killed and 59 others were injured on Monday.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said military would be deployed in key public locations to support police in protecting the masses. May said that she did not want the public to feel “unduly alarmed” but said it was a “proportionate and sensible response”. The PM warned that intelligence services believe an attack may be “imminent.” She said investigators could not discount the possible involvement of a “wider group” of terrorists.

“We struggle to comprehend the warped and twisted mind that sees a room packed with young children not a scene to cherish but as an opportunity for carnage,” May said in London before leaving for Manchester.

The highest threat level was decided by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre,  a group of experts from the police, government departments and agencies.

The blast marked the deadliest terror attack on British soil since the 2005 London bombings. Hundreds of residents remembered the newest victims during a Tuesday evening vigil.

A powerful explosion shook part of the cavernous Manchester Arena late Monday as concertgoers streamed out following the American pop star’s last song.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack. ISIS said on its Telegram channel Tuesday that a “soldier of the caliphate” was able to “plant explosive devices” at the arena.

Whereas Queen Elizabeth II described the bombing as “act of barbarity” and United States President Donald Trump slams attackers as “losers.” On Tuesday evening, hundreds attended a vigil outside Manchester City Hall in honor of the victims.

Related News:

22 killed, over 50 injured in Manchester blast: Police

 

Manchester Attack: Suicide Bomber identified as Salman Abedi