Tehran (January 7, 2018): Iran´s Revolutionary Guards said on Sunday the country´s people and security forces had put an end to unrest fomented by foreign enemies, as parliament and security officials met to discuss the boldest challenge to the clerical establishment since 2009.
There has been more than a week of unrest in Iran in which 22 people have died and more than 1,000 arrested, according to Iranian officials.“Iran´s revolutionary people along with tens of thousands of Basij forces, police and the Intelligence Ministry have broken down the chain (of unrest),” the Guards said in a statement on their Sepahnews website.
The Guards said the unrest had been “created by the United States, Britain, the Zionist regime (Israel), Saudi Arabia, the hypocrites and monarchists.
“Parliament met on Sunday to discuss the week of unrest with the ministers of interior and intelligence, Iran´s police chief and the deputy commander of the elite Revolutionary Guards, state television said.State television showed live pictures of rallies in several cities, including central Shahr-e Kord where hundreds, many clutching umbrellas, had gathered despite heavy snowfall.
“Death to America”, “Death to Israel”, “Death to Britain” “Death to seditionists”, the demonstrators chanted.