TEHRAN: Iran’s military issued a warning on Tuesday, stating it would “begin new fronts” against the United States if hostilities resume, following remarks by President Donald Trump, who said he had delayed a new offensive in hopes of reaching a diplomatic settlement.
Army spokesperson Mohammad Akraminia told Iran’s ISNA news agency, “If the enemy is reckless enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launch further aggression against Iran, we will respond by opening new fronts, utilizing advanced equipment and innovative tactics.”
Currently, Washington and Tehran are engaged in tentative negotiations aimed at ending the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, which started on February 28. So far, only one round of talks has taken place amid a fragile ceasefire in effect since April 8.
In a statement on his Truth Social platform, Trump claimed that leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE had asked him to delay an imminent military strike on Iran, citing ongoing negotiations. However, he stated he had instructed the US military to be ready for a large-scale assault at short notice if an agreement is not reached.
On Tuesday, Akraminia said Iran had used the ceasefire period to strengthen its military capabilities, without providing specifics. He also reaffirmed Iran’s control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz, which it has previously closed and has plans to charge ships for passage.
“The only option for the enemy is to respect the Iranian nation and observe Iran’s legitimate rights,” he emphasized.
Iran announced on Monday that it had responded to a new US proposal, noting that diplomatic talks were ongoing despite reports in Iranian media that Washington’s demands were excessive.
According to Fars News Agency, the US had presented a five-point proposal, which reportedly included demands for Iran to operate only one nuclear site and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the US.
The US, the report claimed, refused to release even 25% of Iran’s assets held abroad or to offer reparations for war damages. It also made clear that hostilities would only cease if Iran engaged in formal peace negotiations.
Iran, however, maintains that it has its own conditions, including the release of frozen assets, removal of sanctions, and war reparations.

